Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Let me know when that tide's coming in won't you

Sunday 11 February 2018

Hawfinch

Every year I make specific trips to Lynford Arboretum in Norfolk to attempt to see the Hawfinch. Most prove fruitless. I've seen them on a couple of occasions, but they have all been distant and for not long at all. For my Birthday treat I decided I would take a trip down to Darley Dales in Derbyshire to see if I would have any joy finding a flock that had been in the area recently.
On arrival, there were several behind St Helen's church high up in the trees. They soon moved off, and here began the game of cat and mouse around the church yard. They would disappear for some time, then come back for a few minutes. I did get some good views, although I could always want a bit more.
A great bird and the largest of the finches. I'm happy to tick it off again for this year.




When they did come close, they stayed well in cover and into the light.


These pictures were the best I could muster. Always room for improvement.

8 comments:

  1. Handsome bird!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have those here, so even the photos you wish to improve on are a treat for me!
    Thanks for linking up at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/02/more-from-nasher-art-museum.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a beak! I wouldn't want to be a seed or anything else in the talons of that finch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the subtle colors of this little critter. Nicely captured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Adam. Glad you had some birding to enjoy... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hawfinch is a beautiful bird. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Glad you saw this lovely bird on your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful bird. Your photos are wonderful.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments as much as I enjoy taking the pictures. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post.